This sponge cake recipe is full-proof! I have made it twice already and both with wonderful results!
This is from someone who hardly bakes. Great slices of cake to pack into kids lunch boxes as a special school tea cake to have them thinking of their Mommy. 😉
Taken from The Cake Bible ~ Rose Levy Beranbaum
Ingredients (all in room temperature):
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/5 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated yolks & whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl combine water, vanilla & lemon zest
- Remove 1 tablespoon of the sugar and reserve to beat with the whites
- In another smaller bowl which together the flour and 3 tablespoons of the sugar
- In a large mixing bowl beat the yolks and the remaining 3/4 cup sugar on high speed for 5minutes or until the mixture is very thick and ribbons with dropped from the beater.
- Lower the speed and gradually add the water mixture. Increase to high speed beat for 30 seconds.
- Shift the flour mixture over the yolk mixture without mixing in and set aside.
- Beat the whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised.
- Beat in reserved 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until very stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly.
- Add 1/3 of the whites to the yolk mixture and with a large skimmer or rubber spatula fold until incorporated. Gently fold in the remaining 2 batches.
- Pour into the pan. (It will a little more then 1/2 full)
- Run a small metal spatula or knife though the batter to prevent air pockets.
- Back for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and the cake tester comes out clean.
- Suspend the pan tube opening over the neck of a wine or soda bottle well above the counter to allow it to cool completely. (think might take about 1hr)
- Loosen the sides with a long metal spatula. Invert onto a wire rack or serving plate. Wrap airtight
This stores for a good 5-6days in the refrigerator or frozen for 2months.